Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Home At Last

Finally, I'm back and ready to start posting again. Sorry I couldn't make any entries while I was away but the technology was not as available as I thought it might be.

I had a lovely holiday, which was for the most part very relaxing. I had a fantastic visit with my Grandma and my Aunty Gillian in Brixham, England. They made me feel so very welcome and very spoiled while I was there.

Here's a photo of Aunty Gillian and me and one of Grandma with their cat, Petal.

Me and Aunty Gillian on the quay at Brixham!


Grandma and Petal, the lovely ladies!

Grandma and Aunty Gillian live in a beautiful little cottage overlooking the marina in Brixham. Here's a picture of the view from their cottage window.


Brixham Marina

In the middle of my visit with my family, I visited the Aran Islands to do an Aran knitting workshop with Mairead Sharry of Inish Oirr. She taught me how to read and knit Aran patterns, how to design my own Aran panels and how to weave. In addition to making an Aran hat and an Aran panel, I made a crios, the traditional woven belt of the men of the Aran Islands. I've never done any weaving before and I fell in love with it.


Mairead at her spinning wheel!

I got to try the spinning wheel, too. I didn't fall in love with it quite as quickly as the weaving, though. I don't think I have the patience to spin. I just want to get on with the knitting and weaving! But I did feel very successful with the Aran knitting.


Aunty Gillian wearing the Aran hat I made! Aren't they gorgeous?!


Another view of my handywork.

Mairead is a warm and generous woman and a joy to work with. I so enjoyed my time there and I recommend a workshop with her to anyone who is interested in combining travelling and knitting. You can reach her via the internet at www.aranknitting.com. She has an email address there so you can contact her to arrange your own workshop. I know you'll have tons of fun!

Here are some views of Inish Oirr. It is incredibly beautiful!


Mairead's cottage where the workshop takes place on Inish Oirr


O'Brien Castle


Chapel Village Church

Well, I've been home for a few days now and am trying to get ready for school. I'm taking two classes to finish up a degree I've been working on for a while. All my requirements will be finished by Christmas and then I'll have a science degree along with my teaching degree. Then who knows what I'll try next.

In addition to my studies and working, I need to keep up with my knitting projects. I've already started on my list of Christmas presents and can only hope that I can get it all done in time. (Yes, I said the C word. I know it's only August and I'm already thinking about Christmas, just like every good crafter.)

Now that I'm thinking about everything I need to get done, I guess I better sign off and get busy. Until next time, take good care, M


No comments: