Friday, December 10, 2004

Bandwagon Jumper

The 100 List

1. I was born in Canada's Centennial Year, 1967

2. I was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (I love the look I get when I tell this to non-Canadians!)

3. I am technically an only child

4. I have three half-brothers, one step-brother and two step-sisters

5. I had a half-sister who died when I was seven

6. I consider myself as having one brother because we were raised in the same house

7. My brother has one son, my nephew, Danger

8. I have no children

9. I am not married

10. I am not opposed to either of these things, I just haven’t done them yet

11. My family has some very unusual names - Bracken, Silver, Verda, Willow, Honey, Danger

12. I consider myself lucky to have gotten the boring one

13. I collect unusual names of others in my head to compare them to my family

14. I have a huge extended family

15. I don't stay in touch with most of them, mostly because there are too many but some because I don't want to

16. I have lived in Vancouver for 15 years and I am not fond of it because I am a small town girl at heart

17. I taught Kindergarten/Grade 1 in Arctic Canada for a year

18. I took a biology class in the jungles of Costa Rica one summer

19. I used to be a corporate accountant in Downtown Vancouver

20. I believe in God but not in a traditional way

21. I'm not thrilled with organized religion

22. I like to study the history of the church as a social/power institution

23. I hope to be able to do graduate work in this area

24. I already have two bachelor degrees (Science and Education)

25. I’d like to be an academic

26. I haven’t figured out how to finance this yet

27. I went to business college in 1985 for one year to get a secretarial certificate

28. I completed three levels of a five-level accounting designation program before I became a teacher

29. I graduated from high school in 1984

30. Our yearbook theme for senior year was based on George Orwell's novel, 1984

31. I have travelled extensively

32. Sometimes I think I would like to do more travelling

33. Other times I think I'd like to stay home

34. I love to garden

35. I dislike living in apartments

36. I want to own my own house one day soon

37. I have one dog, Reuben, and one cat, Sara

38. I would like to have more of both but not until I get a house

39. I have always had pets

40. I was given a kitten on the day I was born

41. Her name was Chicken Heart (see #12)

42. My mother was 17 when I was born so it’s sometimes hard to figure out which one is the parent

43. My mother has five university degrees so far and planning her next one

44. I get my school addiction from my mother

45. My mother and her sisters taught me how to knit, crochet, sew, craft in general

46. All of my great grandparents (save one) were alive when I was born

47. Only one grandmother and one grandfather are still alive

48. I have had extra grandparents most of my life (see #4)

49. I have one adopted grandmother who lives in England and I love to visit

50. I was the first grandchild and the first great grandchild in my family

51. I am older than my nearest cousin by 5 years

52. I have an aunt who is 2 years younger than me

53. I am the oldest daughter of the oldest daughter of the oldest daughter on my mother’s side

54. I come from a long line of very strong, very stubborn women

55. We have a lot of family legends, most of which are grossly exaggerated

56. My family is almost entirely of Irish/Scottish descent

57. Most of the women in my family are (or were) redheads

58. I have never been a redhead

59. I had one Norwegian Great Grandmother

60. I’d like to see her hometown of Oslo one day

61. I have been to Ireland

62. I have mixed feelings about my trip to Ireland

63. I'm hoping to move back to my home province, Saskatchewan.

64. I have liberal ideals based on small town values

65. These can be difficult to reconcile at times

66. I have always been very sensitive and my feelings get hurt easily

67. I have developed a “tough, invincible woman” persona to help me deal with this but it doesn’t work all that well anymore

68. I can be tactless sometimes, but never do it intentionally

69. I love learning new things

70. I did a science degree because I thought it would be a challenge – it was

71. I wish I’d done a history degree first

72. I suck at romantic relationships (see #9 above)

73. No one in my family stays married

74. It’s still too early to tell if this will apply in my generation

75. I never want to be divorced (This may be why #9 is true.)

76. I am an idealist and optimist in most things

77. This makes disappointment unavoidable

78. I have to work at being an idealist and an optimist some days

79. I am very attached to being thought intelligent

80. I have airhead moments

81. I’ve learned to enjoy them and laugh at myself

82. I would like to be wise one day

83. I am an organization goddess

84. Friends ask me to pack their stuff for them when they move

85. This is easier than carrying the boxes to the car

86. I am a book junkie

87. I have hundreds of books in my house

88. My friends don’t like it when I move

89. I am very susceptible to shiny, glowy boxes

90. I try to resist television and computer games because of it

91. I hate reality tv shows

92. I love CBC radio and television

93. I love being from the prairies

94. I am very proud to be Canadian

95. I would like to explore more of my own country

96. I miss the politics of my childhood that shaped my idea of what being Canadian means to me

97. I would like to do more to help others

98. I want to be more politically involved

99. I fall in love easily and out of love very hard

100. I love to fall in love despite #99

And that is all I have to say about that. Thanks for reading, M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very interesting.I wish I was as smart as you are lol.You should go and teach in Africa or some place where you would be needed.I think you would be great there
cara