Thursday, December 02, 2004

Must Read This Lifetime

Do you have a list like this? Books that you would like or think you should read at some point this lifetime?

About ten years ago, I discovered that I had missed reading many classic titles. So I compiled a list to help me catch up. It included The Secret Garden, Charlotte's Web, Anne of Green Gables, anything by Jane Austen, Jane Eyre, Great Expectations, etc.

Recently, I bought a copy of this.


I haven't gotten more than a page or two into it, though. The language was driving me a bit crazy so I put it down and haven't picked it up again.

Instead, I'm reading a recent book for young readers that has proven to be very fun and engaging.


I highly recommend it!

So what are you reading? What's on your list? M

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i finished meave binchy's latest just in time to get it back to the library.glad i didnt buy it.now i am reading sidney sheldon's latest but i'm really having a hard time finding the time to read urgh

Anonymous said...

Try the 'Tenko Club' it's a new novel from Elizabeth Noble. Her first novel 'The Reading Group' is also well worth the read.

Anonymous said...

Can you read and knit at the same time? I discovered I can do it when knitting on the round, provided I'm not purling. But it's a slow process. I still get to do my share of knitting a reading, I could not live without either one of them.

Pioggia

Anonymous said...

If Little Women is too frustrating in terms of the language, try something a little lighter, like Emma or Pride and Predjudice by Jane Austin or Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

Austin's P&P is surprisingly short (compared to the 8 hours of movie), and would help you "work up" to the language of Little Women

Add Tom's Midnight Garden to your list, you won't regret it.

eberndl
www.berndl.ca/eberndl