Sunday, January 23, 2005

I Joined Secret Pals 4!

I'm so excited to be able to join SP4. I almost didn't make it, though, due to technical glitches in communications. Many, many thanks to Jacqueline who helped me get that sorted out!



Thanks to the inspiring Yarn Harlot, I treated myself to a copy of this:

I couldn't stand looking at the gorgeous mittens on her blog one day longer without trying them myself.

I love to make mittens (and socks and scarves) and I generally use simple patterns with fantastic colours and all kinds of yarns. (I made my Mom some Twister mittens last week! Scroll down for pix.) But I have decided that I want to try these and see if I can master the artful mitten. Wish me much luck!

The only problem is that I'm going to have to find a good online source for wool. I can only get acrylics in town and would have to drive 2 or more hours to get to the nearest supplier. So if someone can recommend an excellent online wool site, please leave me a comment with the details. (Have I mentioned that I'm in love with Zara's Superfine Merino and any supplier that could ship me that would be my favourite?!!)

Also, some recommendations for the best fibre for Latvian mittens would be much appreciated! I'm getting excited already and the book won't even be here for two weeks!

Ain't knittin' grand? M

6 comments:

Renee said...

Hello,

Have you tried Shelridge Farms for wool (http://www.shelridge.com/index.php)? Their "Shelridge Soft Touch Ultra – 100% Wool Fingering Weight Yarn" is really nice and probably the right weight for the Latvian mittens (though I've never made any). I've only bought from them at knitter's fairs but they were very nice and very quick at sending out a kit to me when I wanted the colours changed.

Renee

Orris said...

Try Yarn Forward. They ship American and Canadian, quickly, and are VERY pleasant to deal with.

Pioggia said...

Judging by the cover (I know, one should never do this) that's going to be a great book. Let us know!

Anonymous said...

ooh can't wait to see them!

nmblefngrs said...

Ooooh, those mittens look really nice, even if I'm more partial to gloves. I've been dying to try some color work, but the mittens in that book look a little more advanced than what I'm capable of right now! As far as online suppliers, although I've never ordered from them, Beehivewool.com seems to have decent prices and they're based in BC. I feel your pain with the LYS not being so local. I have to drive an hour to get to a shop with an ok source of yarn. When I move, haivng a truly LYS is going to be high on the list of preferences!

btchwstix said...

Have you tried:
http://www.woolneedlework.com/

Their prices on silk garden are amazing so I assume other stuff is pretty reasonable.

The Latvian socks? You are a braver woman than I.

Good Luck, I know you can do it!