Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Tattoo Gallery

Today's tour will include the tattoos of a knitter. I came across KnitTattoo a while back and have been meaning to to have my own minor showing. There's nothing knit-related (so far) but I like them nonetheless.

The first is a symbol of the time I spent studying in Costa Rica. It's on the inside of my left ankle.

Yes, I actually got to see some of these little creatures up close and personal, although I didn't work with them directly. My work was plant-related, not animal, but they kept showing up in the swampy area where my research project was based.

My second tattoo is a paw print on the top of my right foot.

It was done the day after my last dog died. It's a representation of her paw, though much smaller.

The third image is the Celtic Tree of Life and Death and it's in the middle of my lower back, about the size of my palm.

This one is actually done over a very large scar from a back surgery I had when I was 19 years old. It took over three hours to do and was very painful to have inked over the scar tissue. It's my favourite because it holds a great deal of symbolism for me, and not just because I'm Irish Canadian.

Will I ever get another? Hard to say. Some days I think "definitely" and others I think "not." To be honest, I never thought I'd get the first and once that was done, I didn't think I'd do it again. But I keep surprising myself so I guess the lesson here is "never say never."

On the knitting front, I've been seaming up my nephew's sweater (finally, it's only a month past Christmas!) so there's not much to show right now. I'll post a picture when it's all together and blocked.

I gotta say thanks again to SnB because she's totally made the seaming process so much more enjoyable. Yes, enjoyable. I've always been so frustrated with how my seams came out that I have refrained from knitting many things that need sewing together. But not anymore. I'm totally motivated to finish because it's looking great and I don't have to rip it out 37 times before I send it away. How cool is that?!

Looking forward to more sweaters in my future, M

5 comments:

unravelme said...

Hi, Michele - Thanks for your comment on my blog! In answer to your question, a couple other knit-bloggers and I decided to call January "Sockuary," because we are trying to knit socks for the first time this month. It's not an official knitalong, but you're more than welcome to join us in calling it Sockuary if you want!

Shannon said...

I love your version of the tree of life. I've considered getting that for my next tat, but I'd only thought of getting it in all black - the colored, textured look is awesome. Thanks for sharing =)

Michele said...

Thanks for stopping by, Shannon! Hope you find an artist to make you the perfect Tree of Life.

Colette said...

Thanks for stopping by - the Charlotte colors are amazing in person! If you are interested the squares exchange is at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Afghans_for_Us/

The picture that comes up on the group is actually the squares I have received so far - except for the 3 new ones I received yesterday.

Pioggia said...

Those are cool tatoos... If you decide on a knitting tatoo please share it. Where would you put it?