Saturday, April 23, 2005

Mama's Gotta Brand New Toy

Yeah for me!!!


My new laptop finally arrived yesterday. I'm so thrilled to have my own computer again. I haven't had one since December when I left Vancouver and put mine in storage. I hope to have a slightly more regular blogging life now because I don't have to have permission to upload pictures or download programs or whatever. Not that people haven't been very generous but it's just not the same.

So please bear with me as this is going to be a bit of a picture heavy post.

Last week's snow

That's right. We had a snow storm last Friday and this is what it looked like at about 6:00 a.m. By lunchtime, it was already melting but still snowing. A bit of an odd weather day, I'd say!

This week it's all gone and has been for several days. In fact, it has been so warm that I've been out in t-shirts and sandals for several days now. Too bad they're aren't any leaves on the trees, though.


And now for some knitting news. My first self-striping sock. Ta da

One down . . .

I gotta tell ya, though, I'm not all that thrilled with it. I think I prefer to make socks with a heavier weight of yarn because this is so thin and my knitting is not very firm with it. But if I made it tighter, it wouldn't fit my foot. Anybody got any advice on this?


This is the start of my shawl, which I probably won't need now until fall but it's pretty enough to keep working on anyway. I have some yarn for a summer weight shawl that I'll start working on as soon as this one's done.

I also need to keep working on my swatches this weekend so I can get them finished and in the mail. Unfortunately, I also have a lot of marking and planning to do so the knitting may take a back seat until that's done. But, to be honest, I'm not sure a teacher's work is ever done. Then again, a knitter's work is never done either. Is this a personality flaw?

Hope you're having a great spring weekend, M

3 comments:

Thora said...

Hi Michele!

Your socks are great - I love the colors! When I knit fingering weight (Opal, Regia, etc.) socks, I usually drop a needle size and cast on a bit more. I'm not sure how many you cast on, but for my size 9 foot, I cast on 68 and use 1's (about 8 sts./inch). 64 stitches on 2s work well too actually (6 or 7 sts./inch).

What I ended up doing was keeping a small book of all the socks I knit and list needle size, sts. per inch, how many cast on and the main pattern.

I love the pictures of the dogs! If you had asked me (lol) I'd get another if I was you. Mine keep each other such good company when I'm at work and don't seem to get as lonely. They could do without the cats though.

Congrats. on your laptop (whoo hooo) and I'm glad it's warm up there. The snow looked scary lol.

Sorry so long - it's been ages since I've been able to catch up!

Maggie said...

Hi Michelle! Congrats on the new computer. Your sock looks great...love the colors! I always love socks with alot of color...is this your first pair? I enjoy reading your blog and looking at all the wonderful pictures (I love snow and never get tired of looking at it...I just don't like the cold weather!)

eyeleen said...

Congrats on the new computer! Yay!

I love the colors in your sock and your shawl looks great.

I love the snow pictures, Hopefully you'll soon get a chance to knit in between all your teacher duties.