Sunday, April 24, 2005

Why Do I Teach? A Cosmic Question

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy teaching. It's just that teaching English and Art to high school takes up a great deal of time with the marking and planning. Today, I'm marking essays for the Grade 12's and planning new lessons for the Grade 10's plus planning for the Art and Journalism students.

What I wouldn't give to be teaching Kindergarten again. That age group requires more intense energy during the day but I used to get more of my evenings and weekends to myself. (Anybody got a little cheese to go with my whine?) So why am I teaching high schoool, you might ask. Well, eventually, I hope to teach adults at the university level so I thought this would be a good opportunity to try out the older age group. I definitely miss the little kids, though!

Before I get on with my day of marking, etc, I thought I'd show you some pictures of my little place. I liken living here to living permanently at the cottage. I have a lake just steps from my door; my house is sparsely furnished but bright and cheerful; my driveway is sand and grass; we have one store that overcharges for everything; the nearest major centre is 5+ hours away and the nearest minor one is 2.5 hours away.

Front yard


Back deck


From the living room to the kitchen


From the kitchen to the living room

Not much has changed on the knitting front since yesterday. Thanks go out to Thora over at River Knits Mountain Purls for her advice on how to adjust sock yarn. Much appreciated!

Enjoy your Sunday, M

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Michelle, I love your little place! Great photo's. RAOK went out to you last week...be on the lookout...let me know if it doesn't show up soon...I will have to investigate! :)

Pioggia said...

Your home looks cozy, too bad about the overpricing. As for students... I never was an English teacher, though certain ESL students of mine made me come close... Whatever you teach, Middle School and High School require a lot of planning, don't you think?