Friday, May 06, 2005

. . . They Say It's Your Birthday . . .

It's that Beatles song going through my head this morning. It's true. It is my birthday. Did you know I was named after an annoying Beatles song - the one almost everyone sings to me upon meeting? It's true, too.

I woke up to a lovely rain this morning. How come all those years of living in Vancouver I hated the rain but here it's so very pleasant? It wasn't exactly a novelty there and mostly made everything moldy and damp. Here it's a refreshing cleansing of the Earth and makes the world bright green with grass and leaves that are about to burst.

So. The birthday morning. Looking out over the freshness that is a spring shower, I take stock of the last year and decide if success or disappointment has been the theme. I would say it's been pretty successful. Yup, a pretty darn good year. Why so good, you ask?

Well, since the last b-day, I traveled to NYC, England and Ireland. I finished up my first year of teaching, in the Arctic no less. I completed a Bachelor of Science. I moved back to my home province of Saskatchewan after more than 15 years away. I got a job teaching high school that I'm really enjoying in a community that I'm really enjoying. I started my own knitting blog and another for friends and family. Quite a few of them are dreams come true.

And now I start 38. It's off to a good start as I look forward to learning to spin and weave this summer at Saltspring Fibre Festival. I've also signed my contract to teach here again next year and will be moving over to the Math and Science side of the hallway. I'm starting another degree in September, via distance education, that should increase my teaching credentials and thus my pay. I'm going to an ordination and a wedding of two very good friends in June. Yes, I'd say I'm already impressed with 38.

Happy birthday to me! Hope your day looks as bright and hopeful as mine!!! M

8 comments:

Thora said...

Happiest of Birthdays to you! Blessings for a wonderful, loving and prosperous new year to you. :) I hope you get lots of cake and tea and knitting time today.

I think that if you and I had an animal refuge, it would be filled with Reuben and my guys' friends. lol! Thank you so much for the compliments too by the way (I was blushing) but I have to qualify by saying that I knit more by the seat of my pants and hope it works.

Have a wonderful birthday Michele!

Renee said...

Happy Birthday - here's hoping that this year was as good as last.

Renee
www.froggiemeanie.blogspot.com

Sedie said...

Happy Birthday! It's my boss' birthday also!

I hope this year is even better than the last. . . and it sounds like the last was pretty great!

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shannon said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had an incredibly awesome year - hope this one is as great.

btchwstix said...

**Music, Maestro**
Happy Birthday to you, Happy...

You get the picture. And hey, at least we're both WEST of 40!

Many, Many more.

Susan said...

Hope you had a great birthday and that it extends into the weekend. Sorry I am late!

Hope this next year brings lots of good fibery things, projects that go as planned, smooth yarns and even stitches, your most favorite yarns on sale, everything good for you!!!

ana said...

happy birthday, michele! all my favorite people seem to be born in may. thanks for all the wonderful gifts. you are a great secret pal and deserve to be celebrated for a week!