Sunday, May 01, 2005

Thoughts Spinning In My Mind

I have to admit that spinning has been on my mind for a long time now. Thus the purchase of this book.



When I went to Ireland last summer, Mairead gave me a go on her wheel and it was very difficult. However, she had just started to spin herself after many years of knitting, and it was both inspiring and frustrating at the same time.

I did purchase a drop spindle a few months ago but haven't even had a chance to work with it yet because it's been packed since I left Vancouver in December.

The long and the short of it is, I decided I needed to do some reading on it and see if I can get past my initial curiosity. I've also looked into taking some lessons this summer so I can try it out without having to shell out a lot of cash for the wheel before I even know if I enjoy it. (Thanks to Thora for that advice.)

If anybody has opinions or experience in this area, please feel free to leave a comment with words of advice.
Thanks for the input, M

2 comments:

Susan said...

You are on the path to purchasing a wheel. I can feel it. I had the same experience... just a drop spindle, take a class (boom!) I was taken in. Spun into a web of my own making (so to speak).

Danielle said...

I jsut bought a wheel. But I started with a drop spindle and I love it. Its a great process. I have that book to and it helped when I started to be able to read about or look at pictures. This site has lots of helpful video to watch on the web.

http://icanspin.com/

Its very addictive or not at all depending on the person.