Thursday, May 19, 2005

You're Just Gonna Have To Trust Me

I've had people asking me what's wrong with yesterday's socks because they can't see anything in the photo. Sorry about that.

I'll just describe the problems in vivid detail so you can get a better idea of the whole painful experience what's wrong with them. First off, the heel is badly misshapen on the sock that's on Brian's right foot. This is on the inside of the foot, though, so is not apparent in the picture. Secondly, because I had gotten used to handling the yarn by about the middle of the second sock, there is a decided difference between the first 1.5 socks and the last half-a-sock. The knitting is loose and inconsistent at best.

Then there are those lovely holes at the heel pick up that new sock knitters get, not usually seen in in the work of those of us who have been knitting for more than 30 years. Oh the pain of it all I could go on and on and on . . .

Yes, I realize that more patience from the knitter could have fixed many of those things. I ripped so often, though, and then reknit with the same results that I finally just wanted them done and out of my hair. I hated working with the yarn. I know so many of you love it but I really hated it.

That being said, I refuse to be undone by sock yarn. After yesterday's post, I went to the stash dresser, pulled out different sock yarn, smaller needles and a different pattern.

I'm going to figure this stuff out if it kills me! Wish me luck with that! (Sometimes I'm not sure being stubborn works in my favour or just eggs me on.)

Actually, I need to thank Thora for her advice on dealing with bad sock patterns for sock yarn. I'm taking her advice and giving it another chance before I give up for good. If this doesn't work, though, I'm going back to my beloved sock patterns and worsted weight yarn and never looking back!

On a brighter note, I started a new afghan last night. The picture doesn't show it very well but in person, the two yarns together have a silver effect.


I rarely make such large projects but it was a special request from my favourite uncle so how could I refuse? It should go quite quickly as I'm using a Quik Knit pattern. The main one on this cover, actually.



I'm hoping to finish it this weekend. We have four days off because a) it's a long weekend in Canada and b) our school has an earned day off (thanks to extra-curriculars and supervision hours put in). Gotta like that!

Okay, so let's get on with the day, shall we? And I promise that next time I have a major problem with a project, I'll be sure to give photographic evidence for everyone. LOL!

Have a great day and happier knitting to everyone, M

1 comment:

Laura said...

We're always our toughest critics aren't we? I often hate some of my FOs and other people think I'm crazy. I think the more you knit socks the better you'll feel about their outcome. Just be proud that you knitted a pair of socks. That's one thing that most knitters never attempt. =0)