Thursday, March 09, 2006

Elixir of Life

And, no, I'm not talking about tea today. It's water, man, water.

I have none.

Why?

Well, it's a long story so I'll get started:

December 20, 2005 I report to the principal and to the maintenance man that I can hear water running somewhere in my house but I cannot find the source. Both come to hear it. Maintenance man takes a look around and cannot find it. Plumber comes and cannot find it. I suggest someone crawl under the house to see if there is a puddle forming somewhere. No one does.

January 5, 2006 I report that there is mold growing in my house because it's so damp in there. Maintenance man tells me that I need to open the windows more. Right, in -28 degrees Celsius.

March 3, 2006 I report to the new principal and the maintenance man that the lino on the floor around my wet wall is saturated and the floor is soft underneath.

March 8, 2006 Maintenance man goes to crawl under the house to see if he can spot a leak and discovers more than 3 feet of water under there. Tells me I won't have water for a "day or two." But the good news is the sound of running water is finally silenced after 3 months.

I never realized how much I used until I didn't have it. It's giving me a new perspective. There are people on this reserve who don't have running water - just a few left from the olds days. I'm thinking I have to go research more water conservation tips. I honestly thought I was good with water but now it's a whole different ball game.

Enjoy your shower today! M

3 comments:

Judy said...

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't shower today. You'll never guess who this is...

An old friend.

Pioggia said...

Sounds awful. I remember how in 1991 the city where I live got flooded. Not only we didn't have running water, we also had two feet of stinking standing water we had to wade through to do business as usual. I sure hope the leak gets fixed soon. Did you at least get some buckets filled before they cut you out?

Judy said...

Maegan had a picture of one of your dogs on her messenger. I didn't know who it was so she told be about your blog and here I am.

Here's my email
jsingers@kc.rr.com

I know I'm a terrible blogger.