Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I Have A Problem

When I started teacher's college, I didn't need anything to get through the day at all. I was clean, free of dependency. While studying, though, I had to do something to keep up with the pace. That's when it began.

It seems harmless, I know. I mean, my grandmother indulges in it so how bad could it be? At least that's what I thought at the time. But these things start small, right? Then it gets out of control.

Now it's a daily struggle to keep it under control because, God knows, if I could I would do it every hour on the hour. Maybe in between too! It's bad. It's running me.

At first, I could use this and get by:


But we all know how it goes - the longer you use, the more you need. So I graduated to this:


It didn't end there, though.


I wish I could tell you that was as bad as it got. I don't have a picture of the biggest mug but let's just say it was the size of a kiddie pool. It was one of those 7-11 tubs. I knew I'd hit rock bottom when my tub fell off my desk and broke. I was shattered.

I'm working on it, though. I'm trying to get myself free of my addiction. I've worked my way down to the blue cat mug again. Most days I have just one. I don't take it to work anymore. I don't use in front of my students.

The weekends are the hardest because I have it right there in the kitchen and nobody to remind me that I want to quit. Damn you, Tea!

The scary thing for me is that one kind of addiction can lead to another. I saw this last night as I was wandering around the house trying to get my knitting fix. Nothing was starting right. Nothing already started was calling to me. I kept trying to use that snuggly new Lorna's Laces Shepherd sock yarn. I swear I was nearly shaking from withdrawl.

What's next? I shudder to think! M

5 comments:

J. said...

My tea mug is bigger than my coffee mug, Tea is for comfort, coffee is to get me going. I am an addict and I need help!

Loving your student pics and that great hat. Congrats on more socks, I guess ou hvae travelled to dark side of being a sock knitter now.

I love wooden needles too

Allena said...

lol at first i was thinking that you're addiction was to mugs.. as i read on i realized it wasn't so. i love to have different and strange mugs. they're so fun.
i love your mugs!

eyeleen said...

lol! Great mugs! I love tea, and I have an addiction too. To tea pots! I can't stop buying them!

Katie said...

I'm sure my family didn't help your addition; being addicted ourselves we saw your visits as an excuse to indulge.

I found with balancing school, work, and life, that my beloved Irish Breakfast was too much. I start to get the shakes and couldn't think clearly. So I have switched to green tea. While not quite as satisfying as black tea with milk and sugar, it's soothingly warm. While the green tea is caffeinated, I find I never get overly buzzed. So I drink about three pots of green tea day (instead of two pots of Irish breakfast), using the black teas as a treat, or when guests are over. Green tea is also supposed to be very good for you!

I'm currently doing a writing project I think you'll like. Are you familiar with the NPR This I believe speeches? www.npr.org/thisibelieve
I'm writing my own, "I believe in serving tea". I'll send it to you when I'm done!

Pioggia said...

Caffeine withrawal... ugh. Tell me about it. I went from 7 cups of coffee per day to two mugs of tea. I still have coffee about once per week, though I shouldn't. One mug of tea doesn't sound that bad to me. Good luck with the sock yarn.