Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Today's Weather Forecast

The latest forecast from Environment Canada for my area:

Currently
Observed at: Buffalo Narrows Airport 4 July 2006 8:00 AM CST
Smoke
Temperature 17 °C
Pressure/ Tendency 102.1 kPa↓
Visibility 0.6 km
Humidity 78 %
Dewpoint 13 °C
Wind S 13 km/h


That's right - smoke.

If you haven't heard the national news in the last few days, you might not know that there are forest firest raging throughout northern Saskatchewan. We've been waking up to a smoke-filled sky for the past week or so because the closest fire to us is about an hour away. The sound of helicopters is overhead as they are monitoring fires from the air and waterbombers are filling up on the lake behind my house.

Tomorrow, thunder showers are predicted. Where there's thunder, there's lightning. This usually means lightning strikes that will start more fires. I sincerely hope we get a deluge to douse the area enough to help keep the fires under control.

So far, no evacuation order. Keep your fingers crossed that it stays that way.

If you're out camping with your family in the next while, please make sure your campfires are fully out.

Praying for rain, M

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you. We've had big fires in Colorado over the past few years, so I understand what you're going through.

maegers said...

haha.. You leave the west coast and then you learn to pray for rain. hahah.. We pray that it WON'T rain (at least, i hope it doesn't as i want this gorgeous weather to continue!) But I will cross my fingers for YOUR rain!!!