Friday, December 29, 2006

Organic

I have discovered that quilting is an organic process. I have no way to predict how I will feel about it at each step of the process.

Some fabrics I instantly love and can totally picture the end project but I hate it at different phases.

Like this one, Butterfly Garden. I loved the fabrics when I purchased them. I hated the blocks when I had them together. I was bland about the quilt top once all the blocks where assembled. And as I was putting the layers together and stitching on the binding, I came to love it again. Very inexplicable, very unpredictable, very satisfying, very . . . organic.

Making this quilt has proven to me that the whole is indeed greater than the sum of the parts.

I was determined to finish this quilt with the top that I was less than thrilled about. It was the last one in the pile of the "to do before the end of 2006."

Having run out of batting, I decided to sandwich a wool blanket that I no longer use and to back it with a recycled piece of cotton from a much loved, but previously chewed duvet cover (see yesterday's post about Laddie's bad habit).














I also decided to tie this quilt rather than machine quilt it. I recently taught myself how to do tying and I find it wonderfully unintrusive on the fabrics. It also feels kind of old fashioned and quaint.

I centered the ties in the middle of the dark green diamonds.

And finally, my favourite part of every quilt is the hand stitching I do on the binding. I love sitting on my couch, listening to the radio, pulling the thread through the layers of fabric, securing the finishing touch. The end product seems so very polished and is infinitely gratifying for me.

The backing fabric is so soft and well-worn and it holds a special place in my heart. Couple this with the weight of the wool blanket inside and the fabric that I loved from the start. Put it all together and I have created another blanket that I love to curl up under.

So that's the end of my quilting year. I have made/finished 12 quilts this year. One for every month. Which is quite interesting considering I didn't start 2006 as a quilter.

I can't even tell you how many projects I've completed in the knitting catergory. That might be a tally that takes too much time and energy. Plus there are still a couple of days left in which I plan to finish at least one more project, perhaps two.

I won't be home for the New Year, though, so I won't be able to post about them until I get back. I'm off to Prince Albert to meet my Mom for the weekend.

I'll be buying more batting, backing and thread to finish up the rest of the quilting fabrics I have in the craft room but no stash enhancing in either the knitting or quilting category. So far so good on that commitment. Let's see if I can keep it up in 2007.

And on that note, I'll wish you all the brightest 2007. No matter how good the previous year, the new one holds endless possibilities, all of them hopeful on January 1.

Cheers, M

2 comments:

BerryKnitty said...

ooo, your quilts are just lovely! I love the butterfly fabric in this one!

Pioggia said...

Thanks for the nice wishes. I do love all the pretty projects you post here.