Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Study In Denim

This is my kitchen table this morning.

I have been hoarding denim for sometime now and finally decided to get on with making it into a quilt.

Compared to other fabrics, it takes up more room per metre and is heavier to shift. If I get it stitched up into a quilt, I can send it off and let the scraps go to other quilters. It's that lazy quilter streak coming out in me again.

A few posts ago, I promised that I would divulge my secret of reading and crafting at the same time. It's not actually secret but it tickles me that I've finally cottoned on to it.

Project Gutenberg has downloadable audio books now. For free. They don't have a huge selection yet but they are looking for volunteers to record some of the titles, if you're interested.

Last week, I listened to Bram Stoker's Dracula while knitting the green vest and stitching the Prairie Roads blocks. It was heavenly and I highly recommend it. I am always pulled between my reading and my crafting so being able to combine the two in this way is very, very gratifying.

Then add the fact that it was free and I am practically squirming with my joy. I am such a geek! I know this. I embrace this about myself. I celebrate my geekiness.

Ahhh, it's a good day to be a denim-hoarding, Dracula-listening, cheap, crafty geek.

Happy Saturday, M

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Thank you so much for the free audio book link. I'm also torn between two loves (reading and knitting), so this should help!

eyeleen said...

awesome idea of quilting with denim, it'll be a very comfy quilt.