Saturday, July 21, 2007

Late For The Party . . . A-gain

It's the toe-up sock party and I just got here.

For all you hip knitters out there who have been toe-upping for some time already, I'm sure you're smiling knowingly to yourselves at the new convert. I'm also pretty sure you understand that I am now hooked and, have to say, may never go back.

Looky here:

I'm calling these my Sweet Caterpillar socks because they're made from Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Yarn in the Sweetie colourway. Yummy.

They're done in a caterpillar stitch that I added to a basic toe-up sock pattern I discovered I had in my Teach Yourself Visually: Knitting Design book.

They go pretty quickly, even in these very fine sock yarn weights, and that includes my limited sitting ability these days. I like the technique so much, I've started another pair.


And I've gauge swatched for a third. Yippee! Knitting should be so exciting all the time!

Happy Weekend, M

5 comments:

Dandy said...

I only do toe up socks now... my very first pair was cuff down then I found Wendy's generic toe up pattern and have been using that ever since!!

I love those purple and yellow socks!! so bright and cheery!

check my blog.. I choose you as a rockin girl blogger ;)

Susan (ZenKnit) said...

Please tell me more about why toe-ups are better. I still haven't tried toe ups because I don't see what the point is. Do you get better fit? Is it "faster" seeming????

Maybe I just need to break down and try it so that I can know for myself, huh?

Pioggia said...

Yup, I don't ever mean to go back. I'm glad you like them too. Have you tried knitting on your belly? It works for me sometimes. I work at the edge of the bed and let my arms hang down.

BerryKnitty said...

I've never done toe-up socks before--I'm a top-down freak. Yours are lovely--I love the caterpillar ones!

eyeleen said...

lovely socks!