Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Homey Things

My house is odd. It's old and after more than 100 years of being occupied by people, it has taken on some quirky traits.

For example, I have a very small closet in my dining room - it had a shelf and a bar for hanging things. But the thing is . . . it's miles from an entrance so it wouldn't be used to hang coats, I don't think.

Nearest I can figure, from clues left behind, is that the dining room was once sort of closed off and used as a bedroom. Sort of. So perhaps this closet was designed/installed for that bedroom-type purpose.

Whatever the case may be, rather than take it out and have to move the thermostat and shift walls and the like, I have added more shelves and now use the space for storing table linens and other dining room things. Oh, and my yoga stuff.

To keep the space contained and looking less like a hole in the wall where I throw things, I've made a quilty covering for it.

Really just a long, narrow, curtain-y type covering, but yummier. I made it from scrappy strips left over from other projects then framed it in brown and cream.

And because I knew this project was just for me and my house, I got really brave and tried some free-motion quilting with a variegated thread. Here's a close up.

Again, it's yummy. And I loves it.

(Okay, first, I'm proud of the piece. Second, I'm proud of the quilting and thread. And third, I am seriously chuffed about the close up shot working out so I love my new camera, too! Woot!)

Happy Tuesday, M

4 comments:

Tazzie said...

Looks just wonderful Michelle, I love the colours, and the quilting is looking good!
It's fun to get a little peek into your home.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Jen Anderson said...

So pretty!

Katharyn said...

"Chuffed" nice word! (amusingly enough if you look it up in dictonary.com definition 1 and 2 are completely contradictory)

I love the wall hanging/closet door, it's just the perfect scrap fabric project!

Your quilting is very cute, I assume the term "free-motion quilting" refers to quilting done without a pre laid pattern?

I just love your house!!!

Katharyn said...

"Chuffed" nice word! (amusingly enough if you look it up in dictonary.com definition 1 and 2 are completely contradictory)

I love the wall hanging/closet door, it's just the perfect scrap fabric project!

Your quilting is very cute, I assume the term "free-motion quilting" refers to quilting done without a pre laid pattern?

I just love your house!!!