Saturday, June 21, 2008

Denim Stars

It's a bit crazy, I know, but I haven't run out of projects to show you yet. To be fair, though, I did start this one ages ago and am just finally getting around to stitching it up.

If you recall this and this, from last winter (or even if you don't) it's now front and centre on the craft table again.


I've secured each star with a button in the middle as part of the sandwichy-quilty process (yes, that's a technical term).

At the beginning of this project, I intended to hand stitch all the stars on. And that might just be why it sat for over a year in the "I'll get to it later" pile. However, I have recently rediscovered that the Janome has a blanket stitch option and I used it!

(In fact, I'm starting another applique quilt with that blanket stitch option. I'm a blanket-stitching fool! Bwahahaha!)

Anyway . . . this one's in the hand-stitching-the-binding-phase now (another technical term). I did a funky hand quilting thing with it that I think has turned out great. It has a very free-form, folk-artsy feel to it. I'll show more pix when I'm completely finished before I send it off to it's new owner.

In other news, the camera has suffered a trauma this week and I'm not sure it's going to recover. The cats were testing it, and while it passed the "demonstrating gravity" experiment, it hasn't done so well on the "surviving the fall" debriefing. I may have to go shopping for a new one today.

So that's my news for this sunny Saturday morning. I'm off to enjoy the first weekend of summer!

Happy crafting, M

3 comments:

Pioggia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about the camera. Those flowers look very good indeed. I am glad you brought everything with you when you moved and that you found the time to finish the quilt. Are you still in touch with the student that was living with you back then?

LC said...

Hi.
My first time here... from Wanda's page. I like this denim quilt. I've cut out a bunch of squares, rectangles, etc. and this is motivating me! Thank you.

Also nice to see another Canadian quilter... and I love your wizardry with words. Next time your cats try a "gravity" demonstration, they need to remember that not everything has their ability to land right-side-up! Sorry about the camera. Hope it can be redeemed.

LC said...

Opps, I didn't get here from Wanda's page, at least not directly. Story of my life. Am I coming or going?!

Anyway, I found you.