Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Point In Case

Susan over at Zen Knit was teasing me yesterday because I claimed, in my last post, that I am a newbie quilter. She's very quick that way, picking up that very small reference I made. :)

I've really only been quilting in earnest for just over two years and am mostly self-taught. I do consider myself very new to all of this and there are so many techniques, etc. that I have yet to learn.

To prove my point, I'll show you this little quilt top I finished a few weeks ago.

This is the first time I've ever pieced a quilt "on point." It was way more challenging than I thought it was going to be and there were a lot of curse words and some tears of frustration.

I did finally get it, though, and have learned a valuable lesson about using triangles at the ends of rows like that. The trick? Cut 'em bigger and trim 'em down. Otherwise it'll be all wonky and ugly and sucky.

I made this little top from scraps and leftovers because I wanted to try the on-point setting. I also wanted an excuse to use my new toy:

Quilt Design Wizard from Electric Quilt.

This is the little sister of the bigger software programs produced by Electric Quilt and it suits my needs very nicely. It's better than video games (which I've never been good at) and I have spent many an hour fiddling around with fabric choices, block layout, borders, sashings and the like. Very fun stuff!

So that's my story, crafters, and I'm sticking to it. I am a newbie quilter and proud of it! :)

Happy Tuesday, M

No comments: