Monday, August 11, 2008

Fungly Challenge

I'm a bit behind again. This challenge has been out there for a week already. The idea started at Tonya's place (Go read her challenge post. It's hysterical.) and has been spreading all over since then.

The general idea: Fungly = fun + ugly.

Use up as much of your ugly, out-of-date, non-matchy-matchy, leftovers fabric in a quilt. Then you can use the quilt for anything and everything, guilt free. (Like fat-free, zero-calorie yet delicious chocolate - do they even make that yet?!)

Here's my contribution to the cause thus far.


My theme is triangles (uh, obviously!). I chose them because 1) I am a geeky math person who loves geometrics, and 2) it allows me a stress-free way to finally use the free-piecing technique I've been wanting to try. Yay!


"No seam-ripping" is an important part of the fungly challenge, just take it as it comes. You can see under the pin in this pic that I am totally taking it to heart. And might I add? Love, love, loving every second of it.

Here's a little fabric-fracturing, too.

I was inspired to try this method while reading Gwen Marston's Liberated Quilting. It's a very stimulating book and makes me want to try all kinds of outside-the-box sewing.

What great motivation this challenge has been to try new things. Thanks Tonya! It's been a blast so far and I can hardly wait to see how my quilt turns out.

Happy Monday, Travellers, M

4 comments:

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

I'm so glad you tried this - I found it loads of fun myself. wheeee.

Katharyn said...

What a great idea!

Lynn E said...

manufactured fabric is a great idea. I personally think Matchy matchy is ugly I am a scrappy person all the way.
Lynn from Manitoba

ROZ said...

Yeah for fungly!