Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thrifty Thursday

I've read a few other blogs who have had Thrifty Thursday posts. Of course, now that I'm trying to find them, I can't. So please trust me when I tell you that this is an actual phenomenon for us thriftstore types.

Now, to start at the beginning - back during the same thrift store scavenge where I bought the blue desk and my glorious 1936 sewing machine, I also bought an ottoman. It was this colour (please apply protective eyewear now).

Ahhhhhhhhhh! I know. It's - very - bright - orange (although maybe I'm playing up the colour a bit in this photograph). I bet you're thinking to yourself "Why, oh why, would anybody buy any piece of furniture in that colour?"

Well, honestly, it was the shape of it that grabbed me. The price was pretty darned good, too. So I looked past the hideousness of bright orange velour (that's right, I said velour!) and home it came with the rest of the thrifty finds.

Thankfully, with a little sewing magic from my Mom, it now looks like this:

See how lovely it is? (Imagine Vanna hands all up and down and around.) Great square shape, simple lines, very versatile. Now so pretty with new fabric.

Here you can see it complete with decorative cushion against the pretty green wall.

Unfortunately for your eyes, you can also see the matching orange chair just to the right. That is the next piece of furniture slated for a facelift, and the sooner, the better for my retinas!

Happy Thursday thrifting, Travellers, M

3 comments:

Katharyn said...

I'm blind... oh god the pain...

http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com has "Thrift Store Day" for those who don't believe you.

The ottoman looks great, and I can see why you fell in love with it's shape. From what I can tell, the chair also has a great shape - good luck with that project.

My father had a chair in the matching yellow velour, sat in his office the years of my childhood. When he moved to seattle he had it re-done with a white upholsters silk, I'll try to get a picture to you, it's lovley!

quiltmom said...

HI Michele,
I am a prairie girl who loves to quilt- I play with yarn occasionally too.
I live in Edmonton. In my professional life I am a kindergarten teacher( Last year was my 30th year of teaching).

I enjoyed going back into your blog and reading about the different places you have lived.
Your new house is very cute and you have created some gorgeous quilts.

The re doing of the upholstery on the ottoman is a vast improvement over its former look.

I hope you are feeling healthy these days. You are to be congratulated for redoing the hardwood in your house.

I discovered your blog through the fuggly blocks that Tonya had posted.

I don't have a blog but I do enjoy reading other people's posts and get inspired by the quilts that other people are making.

Now I have discovered your blog- I will have to visit again.

Happy Quilting,
Regards from a Western Canadian quilter,
Anna

ROZ said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I once had an orange chair. I loved the shape of that thing! I did eventually slip cover it. My Mom gave me a bolt of fabric that was suitable for slip covers and drapes, so I made those until I used it up--that took some time!