Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thrifty Thursday Wowzers

Seriously, guys, this is a doozie of a thrifty find. I still cannot believe it when I look at this haul.


This was a box full we brought home from an estate sale on Saturday. (There are actually a couple of items missing from the photo, too.)

The sale was being held by one of my mom's coworkers and we helped with the setting up. As our reward, we got pile-o-goodies for $50 in total. Crazy!

Some close ups of my purchases:

Silver tray- love the detail


set of 5 knives - with gorgeous Bakelite handles from early in the last century


a pair of beautiful plates with such scroll detail on them


and a silver chafing dish - can you see that handle? yippee!


All the silver had those important maker marks on them, the china tea cups had stamps on the bottom, and the antique books were in mint condition. I don't know much about their market value but I love each of the pieces because they fit in with my 100 year old house and because I love to recycle such things.

I felt so fortunate to be so rewarded for helping someone out.

Do you have any heirlooms that you love to use and display in your home?

Happy Thursday, Travellers, M

4 comments:

Katharyn said...

Lovely! Just lovely!

I'll try to get some pictures of all the things I have picked up over the years second hand!

Pioggia said...

Great findings! I do have some pretty heirlooms, and I feel bad about not being able to display them in my small apartment.

quiltmom said...

You found some really nice pieces Michelle- I especially love the silver and the plates. My gran loved dishes and she would often go to estate sales and garage sales and collect some interesting treasures to add to her dishes.
I have some of her tea cups and other dishes she gave me. As well, I own a beautiful set of Limoge dishes that once belonged to the grandmother of a friend. I paid a fair price for them and I still love them more than 20 years later.
Her grandmother brought them to the prairies around the turn of the 20th century. I am fairly certain that they are over 100 years over. We only use them on special occasions but they are displayed in the side board in our dining room. It is too bad that dishes can't talk, I am sure they would have some very interesting stories to tell.
Regards,
Anna

Life's a Stitch said...

Just used my MIL's depression glass plates for Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. She would have been very happy to see them in use. I LOVE them.