Friday, January 23, 2009

My Plan . . . And I Do Have One . . .

Craft more and buy fewer craft supplies. (It ain't the Theory of Relativity, I know.)

But seriously . . . I'm finding the emotional weight of my stash to be more than I can handle lately. I keep looking at new and beautiful projects that I want to do, forgetting all about the previously new and beautiful projects that I wanted to do last month, last week, yesterday (and undoubtedly bought the supplies for).

Do you remember way back in 2007 when there was a rash of stash-busting and yarn/fabric diets? There were blog buttons; there were blog rings; there were resolutions. I whole-heartedly hopped on that band wagon, lurching down the aisles waving my resolve at the baskets of yarn and bolts of fabric. I was determined and I was doing fabulously well . . . in 2007.

But what happened in 2008? Not so much with the no-spendy-spendy.

And now, here we are in 2009 and I'm feeling the need to simplify my life, declutter my space, and focus on creating balance.

Not that I'm giving up crafting. That would be crazy, I say, crazy.

Crafting is definitely part of the balance, but that would require me to be, well, balanced about it. Let me tell you, it is darned difficult to be balanced when buried under fabrics, yarns, buttons, ribbons, thread, knitting needles, bobbins, . . ., you get the idea.

This is where we finally get to the genius of my plan. I'm starting a personal campaign.

CRAFT EVERYTHING 2009

I'm making signs for the craft room. I'm seeking inspiration and motivation. I'm reaching out for support. I am, in short, waving my resolve at the shelves in my own craft room.

(I'm also doing my best to stay away from craft supply stores so I won't be tempted. Because I suspect that being in the presence of craft supplies that are, you know, for sale might be more than my resolve can withstand. )

To help me in my quest, I have a few new books in my arsenal.





Now let's just hope I run out of craft supplies before I run out of 2009.

Happy crafting, M

3 comments:

Katharyn said...

*Left hand over heart, Right hand raised - elementary school voice*
"I hear by pledge - to craft everything - in 2009."

Ahh, but I knew this was coming and stocked up on a few things at Christmas! :-)

I find when you do need to run to the craft supply store (because your project is 75% stash based but you need the correct thread for stuffing to do it right, etc) go with a list. And not only do you want to write your target on the list, but something to remind you to put the shiny fabric down, it doesn't matter that it's shiny and on sale.

Good luck!

Tazzie said...

Wow Michelle, you and I have the very same issue - I was so good with the no-buy in 2007, and fell off the wagon last year (may have had something to do with the 80 odd yards that came home from the US with me!).
I'm just grabbing your hand, and together we're going to charge on thru 2009 ripping thru our craft supplies ... yaaaaaahhhhh!!!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Charity Grace said...

I love the knitted gifts book! Makes me want to pick up my knitting needles again...As if I have time...:)