Monday, January 05, 2009

What I Did On My Christmas Holiday

Well, hello there and welcome to 2009! Yes, I am indeed a bit behind, (not really unusual) but I've been on holidays from work so I decided I'd be on holidays from blogging, too.

I wish I could tell you I was on a break from my house, too, because I might not be so tired today. Still, I always like the results of my home reno work so I guess I can't really complain (much).

Here's a few shots of home improvement stuff going on this past while.

This is the spare bedroom, also known as the heinous cavern of darkness.

Yes, that's a very dark purple on the walls. Yuck. I like purple for many things, bedroom wall colour is not one of them.

After a week that nearly broke me physically, it now looks like this.

All it took was three coats of primer, two coats of colour, new flooring, new baseboards, new curtains, and lots and lots of sweat (but fortunately no tears). I was exhausted by the end of it but oh so happy with how it turned out.

There was a work party at my house, too.

That's Mom working on the sewing machine to finish a slip cover, David working on the saw for baseboards in the living and dining rooms, and Emmett contributing his two cents into every project.

Speaking of Mom and the slip cover, my orange chair (remember the retina-burning foot stool?) had actually become a much-loved piece of furniture despite the colour. Tucked into a corner with a lamp, a comfy cushion and a hand-knit shawl, it has been a cozy place to stitch, read, sip tea, or cuddle with cats. I was even getting used to the colour, sort of.


But now it looks like this:

Still comfy, cozy and inviting but so much lighter and prettier thanks to Mom's magic.

Even with all this activity going on to improve the house, I still managed to squeeze in a lot of craft time - like between coats of paint drying. (I'll post some pix very soon.) We also had a Solstice Dinner on the 21st and it was grand to have friends over to celebrate.

All in all, I'd say it was a lovely festive season.

Now let's get on with 2009. Sailor thinks we should start by defrosting the freezer.

Goofy kitty!
Happy January, M

3 comments:

Tazzie said...

Happy New Year Michele, great to see what you've been up to. I love how the bedroom looks now, amazing how much paint you needed to cover the icky purple.
Be sure to have a great week.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Katharyn said...

The room looks lovley, the chair is very cute (thought my favorite part is the green pillow)and your animals are fun as always!

I'm glad your holidays were so eventful, don't over do it now.

eyeleen said...

Happy New Year! Great work with all your renovations!