Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cooking Is A Craft

I have been doing fibery things, honest, I just don't have any pix uploaded yet. So I thought I would share a few of the tools from my crafty cooking for now.

I do love to cook. You probably know that if you've been reading my blog for awhile.

Many of my generation never really learned to do much more than microwave instant meals, make sandwiches and order in, which I find kinda tragic.

But, then again, my mother's favourite meal is popcorn so maybe it isn't just my generation. In order to survive on something other than insta-food, I started taking some cooking classes at the community college about ten years ago.

Not only did I learn to cook the things they claimed I'd learn, I also got a lot braver about trying new things. I'm not suggesting for a moment that they're all wonderful but they are rarely inedible, which I consider pretty succesful.

Like my craft room, my kitchen has some wonderful tools and gadgets to help the process along.

Crockpots are a favourite with me. I invested in one several years ago, then inherited my grandmother's. A third one moved in with the stereo installer.

In this shot, both of these ones are working because it was my weekend for restocking the freezer with lunch options. (I haven't had a chance to get all three working simultaneously yet but I'm hatching a plan!)

My blender gets used almost daily. Soups, smoothies, all kinds of yummy things.


The breadmachine is also so easy to love because it's so easy to use.

That being said, the stereo installer and I have started making bread by hand recently and, wow, is it good. Not always enough time to do it, though, so the breadmachine will never be out of work.

The right pans, bowls and utensils are also vital in my kitchen.

For many years, I did everything with very few but very versatile pieces. These days, I have such a well stocked kitchen that it sometimes amazes me.

Want to know my secret about how it got so well stocked? I'm one of those women who likes to get kitchen gear for Christmas and birthdays. No need for jewellry here. A chopper will do nicely, thankyouverymuch. In fact, I got a new vacuum for my 30th. Loved it!!!

What's your kitchen like?

Happy Tuesday, M

1 comment:

Katharyn said...

My mother was a farming girl, so I grew up mostly with home cooked meals (no baby food here, what ever mum & dad wear having we had preseasoned run through the food processor). Growing up my sister and I found the joys of the insta-meals on our own. Now as adults Lizzie and I are both doing more and more things from scratch, while our parents are doing less and less. - For Christmas I am hoping to get a pressure cooker and a lesson from mum in canning and pickeling (I do a little canning but the knowlege isn't quite there).

Rather than tell you about my kitchen, I think I'll have to follow your exsample and post about it... better clean the kitchen first though.