Sunday, July 19, 2009

I Spy Quiltmaking, Part 2

I apologize for the delay between posts but as I'm still sewing in my "found minutes" the quilt isn't going as fast as it might for other quilters. We'll get to the end eventually, though! ;)

Okey dokey. From where we left off last week, you should have your brown sashing pieces looking like this:

Two diagonal corners have orange squares sewn diagonally to them.

It's time to trim these corners, using a 1/4" seam allowance. Using one of your quilting rulers, line up the seam to the 1/4" mark, rotary cut off the remainder. It will look like this:


Make sure you do the same for both corners on all the pieces.


Using a dry iron, press the seams on the back to one side (I chose to press towards the brown this time because I like how the pieces look with this direction.) then flip the fabric over and press again from the top.


Once all 48 of your sashing pieces are made ready with ironing, you are going to add two more littlest orange pieces to each brown piece.


Attach them with diagonal seams again, using the chain piecing to speed things along.


You'll be trimming to 1/4" seam allowances and pressing again until all your brown sashings now look like this.


Now that the sashing pieces are ready, you can attach the 2.5" orange squares.


Just lay the larger orange square on top and stitch it on.

Keep in mind that you only have 30 of the 2.5" orange squares so not all of your sashings will have an orange square attached to the end of it. In fact, you'll want to only attach 29 of them to separate brown sashings.

Press the seam open again and you should have 29 sashings that look like these two.


The last orange 2.5" square will be attached to a sashing that already has a square sewn to it. So you'll have one brown sashings that has two orange squares. Trust me, it'll all make sense when we get closer to the end.

And that's where we'll leave off today. Next time, we bring in the feature fabrics.

Hope you're all having a lovely Monday! M

1 comment:

Katharyn said...

when I google I spy quilt I get several different types of quilts... can you find us a picture of one please so I can keep that in mind when I go to buy fabrics?