Thursday, October 15, 2009

Home Made Baby Toiletries

Yes, I know I have some "extra" time on my hands to take on projects these days but this stuff is so, so easy, I simply had to share it. I know some mothers of toddlers are shaking their heads right now going "Huh?"

Baby Powder:

500g of cornstarch = $0.91

10 ml of lavender essential oil = $2.50

Protecting and soothing baby's bottom with non-toxic powder = priceless.


Put the cornstarch in a sealable bag, add lavender oil drop by drop, shake the bag whenever you pass it on the counter, let cure for four days.


Get a dollar store shaker with large openings and hey, presto! Non-toxic baby powder in a dispenser!

Diaper Creme

In a double boiler set up, melt a couple of tablespoons of beeswax in a 1/2 cup of sweet almond oil.


Add a capful of vitamin E (about two capsules if you're using those instead) and 10 drops of lavender oil.


Pour into a clean container that can take the heat.


Let cool and solidify (I put mine in the fridge for a day) and seal. Store it in a cool dry place until you need it.

Even if you do both of these things at once, the "cooking" takes less than 20 minutes. And there's enough of both to last quite a while. So why not give it a try? It's better than risking all the stuff they put into commercial products these days. (For more information on toxins in baby products, start here.)

These recipes are inspired by my time owning a book called Skin Deep. It's not in print anymore but you can still get it used. I've had mine for many years and pull it out when I'm feeling inspired. When I found out I was pregnant, I knew it was coming out again. :)

Other tips for preparation? If you're like our house, you'll find these recipes much easier to do if you have help in the kitchen, like I did.

Well, "help" might be a bit of a strong word. :)

Happy cooking, M

2 comments:

Katharyn said...

thank you for posting this!

Knatolee said...

Hey, even though I have no kids, these recipes sound great. ANd I love your "helpers"!