Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The Tartan Experiment

This enormous quilt was one of David's handmade christmas presents.



It was a timely enormous quilt as our bed is family-sized these days.

I made it from one-metre cuts of each of these tartan fabrics, adding a border to each. I then quilted each of the large blocks in a quilt-as-you-go method.

I have to say I really didn't enjoy the quilting-as-you-go. The joining part of the process leaves the quilt with a strange unfinished feel to it, for me.

Maybe there's a better way to do it that I haven't found yet. For now, I can say I've tried it and I'll leave it alone for a while.

It's pretty hectic around here these days but good, all kinds of good. Our baby boy is growing like crazy and becoming his own little person at every turn. All of it amazing.

Hope you're all crafting away, M

1 comment:

Katharyn said...

Well the quilt is cute despite the issues you had with it. Very clever.