Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Adventures in Soapmaking

It's been a whirlwind of activity around here lately. With the solstice celebration, gardening forays and amazing feats of babyhood going on, we've been busy little bees. As a point in case, I've been trying to get this post written up and filled with photos since Monday.

I've been wanting to share my soapmaking experiment with the blogiverse. These photos were taken last Thursday morning, as I tried out my first lye-oil recipe.


You can see that the measuring of ingredients is very important, as are the safety goggles and rubber gloves recommended by all the soapmaking resources. I also have a thermometre handy to make sure the separate parts are at the same temp before I join them.


Once the lye-water solution and the oils are joined, the chemical reaction starts immediately. With a little mixing with the stick blender, things really get cooking. I had to keep this up until the mixture was like pudding.

Then I dumped it all into the prepared soap mold (or former margerine container), worked out all the bubbles, smoothed it over and let it set for 48 hours.


Once set, it was ready for cutting into bars and imprinting with my Canada rubber stamp. Now it's curing in an out-of-the-way place for the next four to six weeks.

It was quite an adventure and I'm quite thrilled to have it go so well. I can't wait to see how it turns out in the end. I have many big plans for this soap of mine. Tee hee.

Happy summer! M

2 comments:

Katharyn said...

I can hardly wait to hear how this turns out! - Dang/Love you; you keep getting me addicted to more awesome stuff!

Knatolee said...

I have always wanted to try making soap so I am especially interested in this. It looks great! Handmade soap is the best.