Monday, June 28, 2010

The Evolution of a Garden

I have been told by neighbours that the man who used to own my house was an avid flower gardener, renowned for it even. I have found evidence of this all over the property but by the time I moved in, there was very little left growing.

In fact, only these eight tulip bulbs still show up every spring along the fence.


I have to admit that, being a bit of a green thumb myself, I have been eager to start growing things here, especially knowing that the property has a history of gardening love. It gives me a sense that it should be covered in green loveliness again.

If you'll recall from a previous post, this is what my backyard used to look like.


The fence on the shed side of the property was in very bad shape and was one of the first pieces of construction I had done. It was literally falling to pieces and on more than one occasion, a dog passed between properties.


The shed, while originally all handmade and quite adorable, had an addition made of corrugated plastic, even the extra part of roof - strange! David removed the addition for me but left the adorable part.


These days, this side of the backyard looks a lot like this.

There have been a few more things added and moved and built since I took this picture last week, but you get the general idea.

As for the growing part, we've already been munching down on some lettuce and onion greens, and as of last Friday, we had a zucchini blossom. Hurray!


I checked this morning and we have a three inch long baby zucchini, along with several other plants about to burst into blooms. I am feeling oh so successful as a farmer already!

Happy gardening, M

4 comments:

Tazzie said...

Ohhh Michele, your garden is entirely wonderful - I've always wanted one like that, raised beds and all - DH and I were just talking about it the other day.
You're such an inspiration!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Katharyn said...

Love it, love it, love it! You go farm girl!

Knatolee said...

Your veggie garden looks great. What beautiful raised beds!

Katharyn said...

I really love the tulips! Just so... hystoric aganst that fence!