Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Rhubarb Soda

This summer, an old favourite from the garden patch learned a delicious new trick.


As you've seen from recent posts, my garden is brand new - not just pots anymore. And one of the first things I planted (okay, transplanted) was rhubarb. It seems no Saskatchewan garden is complete without it. As such, rhubarb recipes abound, but this one was brand new to me.

You start by chopping the rhubarb, almost as if preparing for jam - not pretty or anything, just chop, chop, chop.


Add sugar and water, bring it to a boil and then simmer it until you get a bright pink syrup - about 15 minutes in total. Cooking too long will yield something less appealing for your needs so don't go over 15 minutes.


Mix spring water with the pretty pink syrup and you get light and refreshing rhubarb soda. Add that to ice cream, and you get a rhubarb soda float.


Hand one of these to your loved ones on a hot summer night, and you get happy family.


It's a new favourite summer treat for us.

Next we're going to try it with strawberries. Or maybe raspberries. How about blueberries? Blackberries? Oooo, the possibilities are amazing. Tee hee.

Here's the recipe I used, if you'd like to give it a try. I first read about it over at Soule Mama, a lovely and inspiring place to visit.

Happy ice cream floats! M

3 comments:

Knatolee said...

What a great idea for using up rhubarb!!

quiltmom said...

Michele,
It looks like a great recipe- I have rhubarb in my garden( in fact that is the only thing we have in our garden LOL- I don't have much of a green thumb but I can grow rhubarb LOL
However I love rhubarb and strawberry crumble - it is an easy dessert and can be made in a microwave too. I remember being a kid and eating the stalks of rhubarb dipped in sugar- we thought we were pretty cool with that snack.
It has been hot here so your drink looks like the perfect solution.
Thanks for sharing.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Katharyn said...

Awesome! Noted for next year - as there is no rhubarb left in phoenix stores and I didn't plan any on my kitchen table.

I had been wondering were you were getting this rhubarb soda from!