Friday, December 10, 2010

Presents from the North

Yesterday, Callum received a parcel in the mail.

Inside was this pair of handmade beaded slippers.


My amazing friend, Verna, made them for Callum. I nearly cried when I saw them.

I know from my time in the far north that each bead is individually stitched on to the leather. Then the upper is sewn to the body of the slipper and the slipper stitched up. The final step is adding the beaver fur.

It's a process that takes a huge investment of time and dedication. And while some people make them for commercial gain, most people are like Verna and do it for love. Imagine how touched I was to receive them for my son.

A lengthy and long overdue phonecall followed, and two old friends caught up on the daily happenings of each other's lives. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful friend. I hope you can say the same.

Happy Friday, Michele

1 comment:

Katharyn said...

I can, I have you!