Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Heart Biscuits

When I posted about our winter feast a while back, I had a request for the recipe from my dear friend, Katharyn.



So here it is, as found in my ancient cookbook:

Basic Tea Biscuits
2 cups flour (we use unbleached)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup water

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
Cut in the butter (this works best with a pastry cutter, well worth the investment if you don't already have one!).
Add the water (recipe originally called for milk but we are dairy free here).
Once mixed, turn the dough out, using a sprinkling of flour to roll it out and cut shapes.
Bake between 10 to 20 minutes at about 400 degrees - until light golden brown.

We serve them warm with all kinds of things - butter, freezer jam, cold meats, cheese, whatever strikes your fancy.

They're also lovely the next day for lunch, instead of sandwiches.

So better late than never, Katie! I hope you enjoy them. :)

Michele

2 comments:

Knatolee said...

YUm, they look delish!


And I nominated you for a Stylish blogger award. Check my blog for details! :)

Katharyn said...

Thank you Michele! We'll try them on Sunday (one of the gamers we play with always brings raw honey with him so I make biscuits).