Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Winter That Never Ends

I, for one, am ready to see the back side of this endless winter.

Seriously, we're getting more and more snow these days. And it should really be done by now - really really.

The sun is shining today, which is lovely, but means that it's very cold outside. Not just cold but frigid.

But the weather hasn't even been the worst part of this winter. We've had some pretty big blows to our family. Callum was diagnosed with asthma just before Christmas and we've had to rehome all of our pets - all of them. Then we lost the baby. We've also all had a horrible cold/flu for the last two weeks and David's seems to have developed into pneumonia. To top it all off, I broke a tooth last week and while having it repaired, the dentist drilled a hole into my tongue - literally took a chunk out.

So yeah, I am ready for the winter of 2010-2011 to be done.

But we are carrying on and life, though tumultuous of late, has still been amazing and miraculous around here in all the little, daily ways. My men make it so, just because we all love each other like mad.

Now enough of all that whining business. I have crafting news.

I know I've been fairly quiet on here lately but that's not because I haven't been working away on things. I have actually been working on a fairly large project that I cannot reveal as of yet. It's a surprise and the surprisee does read the blog - so no details. But soon, my crafters, soon.

I did, however, sneak in a finish of a project that I started working on a couple of summers ago. My fungly quilt top is finally all done.


In case you don't know, the fungly challenge was meant to use fabrics that you would never put together normally. Fabrics that had been hanging around too long, fabrics that just didn't seem to fit with other fabrics, fabrics that could be classified as ugly and unwanted. Then we needed to try a new free piecing technique, match it with some free-pieced lettering and see what the result would be.

My mathematically-inclined brain decided to use triangles and then make the words that described them. It's cute. It's carefree. It'll be added to my quilts-for-the-couch pile. And most importantly - it's done and can be added to the finished list. That's always a bonus.

So life is carrying on around here. Those little, daily things that make me so happy are carrying on. And despite all the unwelcomed life challenges lately, the crafting and the blog is also carrying on.

And may this winter finally start to ease up.

I think I'll go do some garden planning now. I need spring in a big way.

Happy weekend, Michele

2 comments:

quiltmom said...

Hi Michelle,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of the baby- I know how excited you and David were about adding to your family.
Winter has been hard this year- lots of snow everywhere and unusual storms too. Like you, I will be glad to see the back of it.
Life is changing here too- our son and his girlfriend have been madly fixing up the basement so they could move into it. We have got rid of old freezers and other such stuff and they have shuffled things, boxed things and painted and tidied to make the space a functional space for them.
We were just getting used to being empty nesters and find ourselves with 4 adults and 4 pets living in our smallish house. Life does throw some curve balls at one.
Hope you are feeling okay and that spring will bring many happy things to you and yours.
Warmest regards,
Anna
note the new email address:
quiltmom1@shaw.ca

Katharyn said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES-yKOYaXq0

You lovely fungly quilt makes me think of the mandelbrot set...

You could always hop in a plane and come visit us in Phoenix for a week... (yeah, I know, easier said than done).