First off, there a couple of background facts you need. One, we live in a 103-year-old house. It has some . . . quirks. Two, we made our own platform bed to accomodate my bad back and the insane lack of storage in our old house.
We didn't make our bed with a head board but eventually we were in need of one - desperately.
Why so desperately? Because the power lines are attached to our house by a very large nut and bolt. See note about the very old house, above.
With a small but active boy who likes to play on the bed, it was becoming a hazard to his health and safety.
Between us, David and I came up with the idea of building a headboard out of the leftover wood from our platform project. David installed a layer directly over the nut with a hole cut out to accomodate it.
Then I took a second layer and covered it with the fabric I'd saved from an old duvet cover - one that had an untimely demise at the mercy of a puppy a few years ago.
David then installed the second layer over the first, and we have a pretty new headboard.
This photo shows the top of the platform covered in the same pretty fabric. The rest of it is covered in the coordinating flower fabric from the "other side" of the duvet cover. Can't say I didn't get my money's worth out of that fabric!
And there you have it . . . another repurposing project and a lovely addition to our bedroom that also serves to keep our boy safe and happily playing on the bed. A most satisfying end.
Happy Tuesday, Michele